One thing I added this year was just TWO "personal words".  Could you get
away with that?

I have my kids pick just two of their own words with SOME guidance from me
and sometimes their parents.  My "non-spellers" tend to pick the frequently
misspelled sight words like friend or because, while my "super spellers"
head straight for my college dictionaries and have chosen words like
idiosyncrasies and jurisprudence (they have to be able to pronounce the word
and tell me what it means when they present their choices to me on Monday
morning.) Then when I get to the end of the regular list words on the Friday
test, I simply say, "Okay, time to write your two personal words."  Most
kids remember them, but I do have a list with all of their names and their
words printed next to them in case they happen to forget.

BTW, we can "connect" this to reading strategies because several of the
students pull their personal words from their independent reading as they
QUESTION what a word is/means.  :-)

-Michelle TG/IA 5th

This message sent from the home of
Scott and Michelle TG