I heard Lucy Calkins (sorry about that spelling) speak last week in  Detroit.
 I believe she mentioned 4th - 5th grade as being a good time for  lit.
clubs.  The most important thing is that the students are trained in  how to
handle
the lit. club.  She showed videos of clubs in action and you  wouldn't
believe the conversation these kids were having.  They need to be  well trained
and/or versed in how to handle a club situation. It's much more  than just
reading
the same book.  You need to model, model and then model  some more.
Michele