THANK YOU Carrie!!!  I was just thinking the same thing.

It all comes down to the expectations of the teacher and the experiences that
we help to create for our kids.  I believe so deeply in the abilities and
"smart thinking" of my kids, and they always rise to the occasion.  This year,
I have really been trying to gradually release as much control to them as
possible, and they are blowing me away!  They take themselves so much farther
and deeper into books through authentic conversations than I could have ever
done with "sage on the stage" style instruction.  Thanks to some really great
mentor texts and wise colleagues, I haven't copied a single literature "packet"
this year -- and my students are better because of it!  Best of all, I can
honestly say that ALL of my kids genuinely love to read and have a hunger for
deep conversations about books.  It's more than I could have ever imagined
would be possible!!

And, just to throw in another two-cents... I have the largest class that I've
ever had and they are not a perfect group by any means.  But, management has
actually been so much easier this year (even easier than when I only had 15
kids).  I'm not fighting to keep the kids engaged - they are intrinsically
motivated to participate, be prepared, and engage in their own learning.  (Not
to say that we don't have issues - WE DO!  But, I never have to fight kids to
read or participate or be prepared for book discussions/conferences.)

I would encourage anyone who is doubtful to allow themselves to seek
inspiration from some great teachers (nationally recognized AND local), believe
whole-heartedly in the great possibilities that may just be "lying in wait"
inside of your students, and give things a try!  Let your observations of your
students, your intuition, and your own love of reading be your guide.

And - we're all here if you have questions or need encouragement!  Enjoy the
journey!!!

Amy Swan
3rd Grade Teacher
Cedar Creek Elementary
(913)780-7360
CHECK OUT OUR CLASS WEBPAGE!! http://teachers.olathe.k12.ks.us/~aswancc/

>>> "Carrie Cahill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/20/2007 11:21 AM >>>
I just wanted to respond to the message below.  I don't want to leave
this conversation with anyone thinking that struggling students - for
whatever reason - can't engage in conversation.  I completely believe
they can!  I haven't seen Caulkins' videos - but I have seen Cris Tovani
and Stephanie Harvey's videos and those children are from some pretty
tough backgrounds and they still (probably because of those
backgrounds!!!) are able to relate to meaty topics in books and have
great conversations.  I have also seen Ellin Keene work with some tough
kids - kids she never met before she sat down to work with them - and
they did a fantastic job. I think Michele said it best a couple of posts
ago - we have to MODEL, MODEL, MODEL and they WILL get it!!!

Carrie

K-8, Illinois

Carrie,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to you.  Wasn't Lucy great!!!  I
agree with you though.  I have a "tough" group this year and I really
can't see

them involved in the conversations that we saw on her videos.   That
doesn't

mean that I don't like the strategy.  Thanks for the tip on  the book.
I will definitely check it out.

Michele

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is from the Olathe District Schools. The
message and any attachments may be confidential or privileged and are intended
only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are
not the addressee, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you
are not authorized to read, copy or distribute this message or any attachments.
We ask that you please delete this message and any attachments and notify the
sender by return email or by phone (913) 780-7000.