Carrie,

I agree. Some of my most thought-provoking comments have come from my lowest
readers. I remember watching Debbie Miller's videos when our school first began
exploring the reading strategies. Our comments were similar in that we couldn't
envision our children having conversations of depth. These children have proven
me incorrect. I am always amazed at how their discussions can deepen our
comprehension and take us down roads we would never have conceived alone.

Carol

Carol A. Mauer
BCSC Literacy Coach
(812) 376-4447

"One can never pay in gratitude;
one can only pay "in kind" somewhere else in life . . ."
         Anne Morrow Lindbergh
            "North to the Orient"

>>> "Carrie Cahill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/20/2007 12:21 PM >>>
I just wanted to respond to the message below.  I don't want to leave
this conversation with anyone thinking that struggling students - for
whatever reason - can't engage in conversation.  I completely believe
they can!  I haven't seen Caulkins' videos - but I have seen Cris Tovani
and Stephanie Harvey's videos and those children are from some pretty
tough backgrounds and they still (probably because of those
backgrounds!!!) are able to relate to meaty topics in books and have
great conversations.  I have also seen Ellin Keene work with some tough
kids - kids she never met before she sat down to work with them - and
they did a fantastic job. I think Michele said it best a couple of posts
ago - we have to MODEL, MODEL, MODEL and they WILL get it!!!

Carrie

K-8, Illinois

Carrie,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to you.  Wasn't Lucy great!!!  I
agree with you though.  I have a "tough" group this year and I really
can't see

them involved in the conversations that we saw on her videos.   That
doesn't

mean that I don't like the strategy.  Thanks for the tip on  the book.
I will definitely check it out.

Michele

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1