Dear Friends: Each grouping strategy has a different teacher/student dynamic or
interaction, if you will.  Our purpose for each grouping strategy needs to be
clear whether it be guided reading, literature circles, strategy-based
grouping, target groups, or reciprocal teaching.  Rather than look at what
grade level children should experience a literature circle, etc., it is
essential to look at what you need to work on - the needs of the child or
student.  When we implement guided reading, we are giving students practice
with our guidance after we have modeled the strategy we are focusing on.  After
time in guided reading, regardless of the grade level (and I mean even
kindergarten) we can gradually release children to use the strategy on their
own in a literature circle.  Perhaps it would help to think about the gradual
release when considering who, when, and where to use different grouping
strategies.  The more you understand the specific purpose of a grouping
strategy, the more you will know where to use and with whom to use it.  All
grouping strategies are for all learners.  Where are they?  What have you
modeled?  How much practice have you given? Literature circles are the test of
your instruction - if you have truly done guided reading with an explicit
strategy focus and have handed the responsibility to them, they should be able
to then, use the strategy in a literature circle.

Look how simple it can be to organize a lit. circle for kindergarteners  . .
Read-aloud three versions of The Little Red Hen with your strategy focus,
determining importance or main idea.  Let them get together to discuss the
three books, comparing and contrasting and talking about what's important or
the author's message.  That will be an amazing discussion.  Then bring everyone
together to discuss it collaboratively as a class.  Wow!

Janine Batzle