Let's not forget the "high interest" aspect of reading online. Usually
aren't they reading something that interests them? And of their own
choice? I think that matters tremendously.

Renee G

On Apr 18, 2008, at 6:09 AM, HERBERT Suzanne wrote:

> I am not an expert, but as my post just moments ago indicated, it's
> how the kids read and function now.  The whole my space, MSN chat,
> multiple windows downloaded and opened at any one time and the type of
> skim reading that goes on, is about the change our kids are going
> through.  We are however, I believe, behind them.  So, why did these
> kids who tested poorly in tradtional reading do well with online
> reading?  Different skills are employed.  But, I'm not an expert, just
> a teaching mother with an 18 year old.  It's a great discussion.

"We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy
to say, 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my
problem.' Then there are those, who see the need and respond. I
consider those people my heroes."
~ Fred Rogers