In a message dated 6/22/2008 11:22:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Please  explain what a meaning based approach is?  Do you recommend any
type  of instruction.

Thanks for asking Pat. I was getting kind of  frustrated that all this talk
about "parts" was going on and no one was talking  about how to help the
struggling students with the purpose for reading. The  process is so important
and
no one was talking about older children thinking  that reading was all about
letter sounds. Especially on the Mosaic of Thought  listserv. Shouldn't we be
striving for the children "to understand?" It is  funny. I am also listening to
the conversation on the "To Understand" list and  it sounds like the people on
this list and that list are not even talking  about books by the same author!
As far as I know there is no research that  supports teaching synthetic
phonics to students over first grade. Even the  National Reading Panel report
says
that. And recently the Reading First Impact  study came out and said that none
of the millions and millions of dollars spent  on teaching the "parts"
programs have helped children comprehend at ALL.
    My question about a meaning based approach was  because I was kind of
shocked by the responses to the question. I was hoping  that someone would jump
in and make some suggestions about using miscue or  retrospective miscue with
these students. I have found that most kids by fourth  grade aren't going to be
helped by more phonics. My guess is, as Dorothy Watson  says, they are
probably over phonicating. I don't have the email right in front  of me, but if
recall, the original poster said the students were reading  nonsense words. If
that is the case, they need a lot of instruction about what  reading really is!
    I would tape the kids. Have them listen to the  tapes of their reading
either by themselves or with a partner. Have them do  reader response to the
books.  I would have them to lots of Reader's  Theater. I also asked about
writing. I would have them writing most of the  instructional time. Of course
it
would have to be purposeful writing. Like have  them write Reader's Theater
scripts for the Junie B. Jones books to perform for  a first or second grade
class.
Have them buddy up with a younger class and read  to them. Have them make
tapes for a kindergarten listening center.
    You don't HAVE to know phonics to read! Try a  different approach. Think
outside the box. What they have had so far didn't  work.

Nancy Creech

fuel-efficient used cars.