names fluency.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: [MOSAIC] phonemic
awareness/segmentation help wanted> It seems as though we are confusing the
point of this conversation. To teach phonics or not teach phonics is not the
real question. The real question is what and how to teach kids who aren't
reading well (and reading well includes all 5 components of literacy). While
comprehension is obviously the end result, there are many things that go into
comprehension and how we get kids there varies with each child. DIBELS gets a
pretty rough rap on here and I think it is because it is being considered an
assessment rather than a screening. Would you all agree that a student who does
perform well on DIBELS is well equipped to move forward in literacy instruction
that focuses on deep comprehension? And a student who struggles on part of the
DIBELS may need to be considered for further evaluation to determine what would
best prepare that student for progress into the area of deep comprehenseion? I
think there is a huge difference in looking at DIBELS screening for K-1
students and 2-6 stuents. Once we begin screening for fluency only, the entire
focus of interventions changes and it is at that point when I feel the
strongest need to identify the causes of fluency difficulties. Fluency is only
a symptom of an underlying problem. I have worked with students who totally
bomb the fluency screening on the DIBELS but can read and comprehend at a
shallow level, but I have rarely seen a student who struggled with fluency be
able to reach that deep comprehension we are looing for. They may be able to do
it while being guided, but independently it just doesn't happen. They spend too
much time and energy getting through the words to be able to synthesize
meaning, too. I guess I have to say that, in my opinion, the fluency is still
key to comprehension.> Debbie