And I would add that Renee's comment about addressing phonics in a meaningful
way is one of the key reasons Don Holdaway "invented" shared reading.
Basically anything that can be done in isolated phonics instruction can be
"delivered" through quality shared reading experiences, which laces phonics
into meaning.  That sends a whole different message to a kid about what phonics
is for.