From: "Renee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:48:24 AM (GMT-0600) America/Chicago
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] phonemic awareness/segmentation help wanted

On Jun 24, 2008, at 8:27 AM, KENNETH SMITH wrote:

>  DIBELS gets a pretty rough rap on here and I think it is because it
> is being considered an assessment rather than a screening.

DIBELS is often used as an assessment, not just a screening.

> Would you all agree that a student who does perform well on DIBELS is
> well equipped to move forward in literacy instruction that focuses on
> deep comprehension?

I think ALL students are "well equipped" to move forward in literacy
instruction that focuses on deep comprehension. I believe ALL literacy
instruction should be focused on deep comprehension, no matter the
level of the student. I don't believe a child needs to be *screened*
before they enter into instruction that focuses on deep comprehension.

Renee

"The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can asks his
pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he
inspires them to ask which he finds hard to answer."
~ Alice Wellington Rollins