Kendra
I think K kids MUST learn the comprehension strategies...though for many of
them, they learn them on a listening level. Really the strategies are
thinking strategies and kids need to see models of what real readers do at this

early level so they understand that reading is about making meaning. My lesson
study team and I did comprehension lessons in K all year long last year.  They
included metacognition, schema, inferring, questioning, visualizing.   Now I
would say that inferring at a K level looks different than it does at a  third
or fifth grade level but they can do it and sometimes it will amaze you  what
the little people think of! We used a lot of ideas from the book Starting  With
Comprehension---where kids acted out physically what they were thinking of.
That is the way little ones learn...by doing.
I think Ellin Keene would agree that we need to teach all the aspects of
reading in a balanced way from the very earliest moments...
Jennifer

\a message dated 7/4/2008 10:51:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,