From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] kindergarten
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 10:39 AM

Susan and Kendra,

I feel that I am stuck at the present time with the letter of the week
because it is what "the team has always done".  Being the new kid on

the team I rearranged the introduction of the letters but did not give
up on the system.  We have a new principal starting this fall so I am
hopeful that he will want to look at some different ways to do things.
  Kendra...as far as your question about thinking strategies with
kindergarteners, I was determined not to "dumb down" the thining
strategies that I did with my first graders so I taught my kids what
schema was and why it was important.  I carefully chose books that
would demonstrate how we use our schema (tooth losing books were a
hit)  I also taught making connections and started to teach the
difference between a surface type connection and connections that help
us to understand what we are reading.  Many of my colleagues said "you
are using the word schema with kinders?"   YES!  It is kind of a goofy
word so they remember it!  What will be interesting to me is to see
what happens when my kinders get mixed with the other kinders in first
grade.  Will what I taught them stick? Will it make a difference.  I
have a friend in first grade who is going to help me with that
observation.  Baby steps I guess!

Lori
LoriQuoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]: