Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] RTI

And in a bit hotter hell on earth as a literacy coach or coach supervisor.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Ljackson <ljack...@gwtc.net> wrote:

That would be nice except...our teachers of literacy have all had (or are
having) the opportunity to participate in a year-long literacy class
focusing on balanced instruction.  Our teachers have unbelievable summer
training opportunities.  We have coaching support available in all
buildings. Teachers are supported in opportunities to observe.  These
opportunities are carefully undertaken, with an opportunity to visit before and after with the teacher they will observe. The visits are facilitated by our coaching staff. Lack of training is not the issue for most of our staff.

I realize how gloom and doom these two posts sound, and I don't mean for
them to be so. We have a number of teachers, a significant number, who are simply doing amazing work with students. But after seeing Regie Routman at
N CTE this year, I am pondering her comments. She said, basically, for an
underperforming school impacted by poverty to see systemic change, 90% of
staff members need to be 'on board' with changes in literacy instruction.
That remark hit so deeply home with me, as we are so far from that 90% mark
in nearly all of our buildings.

This year, under new leadership at the district level, the district is
exploring that issue of who is responsible for implementation and for the
first time, that conversation is going beyond the teacher level.  All of
this makes me potentially giddy and terrified--I know that under different circumstances, as in replace balanced literacy with a prescribed same-page literacy program, this could be my own idea of hell on earth as a teacher.

Lori Jackson
 District Literacy Coach and Mentor
 Todd County School District
 Box 87