The 80% mentioned here probably refers to the RtI pyramid, in
which--ideally--80% of the student population have their needs met within the
regular classroom and are performing within acceptable ranges in terms of grade
level expectations. To me, this implies that the first step in beginning an RtI
program is to carefully examine curricular practices but it does not follow
that there is necessarily a prescribed or correct single means of doing this.
Like Kelly, our district feels that balanced literacy and a general pacing
guide for unit study will support teachers in attaining this goal.  I do see,
however, a danger in my own district in seeing this approach damned and dumped
because we are not seeing the kinds of results one would hope to see. As much
as I am nervous about the bantying of the term fidelity, I think Kelly has hit
the nail on the head.  We have ample evidence to show that children in
classrooms where balanced literacy practices are honored under the
orchestration of effective teachers, children are making excellent progress.
The issue we have to grapple with is this. How do we begin to address the issue
of teachers who aren't, for lack of a better term, on board?  I can say that
the majority of these teachers are implementing their own brand of instruction
that looks much more like traditional basal instruction than any direct
instruction program I have reviewed.

Lori Jackson
 District Literacy Coach and Mentor
 Todd County School District