I just spent several years teaching literacy skills to students with a variety
of disabilities.  Try using high quality picture storybooks.  They can be quite
sophisticated but are non-threatening and make great read alouds.  Get a copy
of Susan Hall's book Using Pciture Storybooks to Teach Literacy Devices, Volume
3.  It lists hundred of picture storybooks that can be used teach reading and
writing skills.> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 15:13:37 -0500> From:
gowa...@spart6.org> To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] RTI>
> I am reading all this and shaking my head yes, yes, yes - AMEN to>
inflicting:)> > This year I changed from literacy coach/interventionist to
special ed> teacher in high school.(went from K-1 to HS) I thought if Cris
Tovani> could do it - so could I. One of the challenges I face is a reading>
class for non-diploma students. SRA comprehension is the text for the> reading
class. Clearly, this is not my belief of teaching reading, but> it has just
been implemented in my district. My question now, I want to> propose some
changes that don't include SRA. Does anyone have any> suggestions for HS
students reading from 1.2 to around 3-4.0 reading> level? I would like this to
be more balanced literacy than structured -> though some structure will be
needed for these students. any> suggestions on reading material for them or me
would be greatly> appreciated. I read Tanny McGregor's book and used some of
the> activities - but don't feel I am meeting the needs of the students. > >
>>> ljackson <ljack...@gwtc.net> 12/17/2008 3:39 pm >>>> For me, that would
mean not coaching. I could not encourage others to> inflict!> > > On 12/17/08
8:00 AM, "Beverlee Paul" <beverleep...@gmail.com> wrote:> > > And in a bit
hotter hell on earth as a literacy coach or coach> supervisor.> > > > On Wed,
Dec 17, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Ljackson <ljack...@gwtc.net> wrote:> > > >> That would
be nice except...our teachers of literacy have all had> (or are> >> having) the
opportunity to participate in a year-long literacy> class> >> focusing on
balanced instruction. Our teachers have unbelievable> summer> >> training
opportunities. We have coaching support available in all> >> buildings.
Teachers are supported in opportunities to observe. > These> >> opportunities
are carefully undertaken, with an opportunity to visit> before> >> and after
with the teacher they will observe. The visits are> facilitated by> >> our
coaching staff. Lack of training is not the issue for most of> our staff.> >> >
>> I realize how gloom and doom these two posts sound, and I don't mean> for>
>> them to be so. We have a number of teachers, a significant number,> who are>
>> simply doing amazing work with students. But after seeing Regie> Routman at>
>> N CTE this year, I am pondering her comments. She said, basically,> for an>
>> underperforming school impacted by poverty to see systemic change,> 90% of>
>> staff members need to be 'on board' with changes in literacy> instruction.>
>> That remark hit so deeply home with me, as we are so far from that> 90%
mark> >> in nearly all of our buildings.> >> > >> This year, under new
leadership at the district level, the district> is> >> exploring that issue of
who is responsible for implementation and> for the> >> first time, that
conversation is going beyond the teacher level. > All of> >> this makes me
potentially giddy and terrified--I know that under> different> >>
circumstances, as in replace balanced literacy with a prescribed> same-page> >>
literacy program, this could be my own idea of hell on earth as a> teacher.> >>
District> >> Box 87> >> Mission SD 5755> >> > >> ----- Original message ----->
>> From: djchan <djc...@charter.net>> >> To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension
Strategies Email Group <> >> mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>> >> Date: Wednesday,
December 17, 2008 7:50 AM> >> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] RTI> >> > >>> Lori,> >>> >
>>> To me, that sounds like insufficient training in literacy. A> teacher may>
>> not> >>> need to be 'on board' with the program, but they should definitely>
be> >> using> >>> appropriate and research supported teaching methods for
literacy.> If they> >>> don't, then whose responsible for the training that
they should> have> >>> received to make them effective literacy teachers? I
have seen this> in> >> the> >>> school system I retired from and it was a lack
of training.> However, that> >> is> >>> not to say that there aren't teachers
who will deliberately> sabotage a> >>> schools program because it requires them
to move from their comfort> zone> >> and> >>> they don't want to. I think your
key phrase was 'effective> teachers' and> >> my> >>> question becomes how did
they become effective teachers and the> others> >>> didn't? And what needs to
happen to help the other teachers become> more> >>> effective in their literacy
methods?> >>> > >>> > >>> Deidra Chandler, NC> >>> MA Early Childhood Ed> >>>
MA Reading> >>> MultiSensory Structured Language Intervention Tutor> >>> -----
Original Message -----> >>> From: "Ljackson" <ljack...@gwtc.net>> >>> To:
"Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"> >>>
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>> >>> Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:23 AM>
>>> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] RTI> >>> > >>> > >>>> The 80% mentioned here probably
refers to the RtI pyramid, in> >>>> which--ideally--80% of the student
population have their needs> met> >> within> >>>> the regular classroom and are
performing within acceptable ranges> in> >> terms> >>>> of grade level
expectations. To me, this implies that the first> step in> >>>> beginning an
RtI program is to carefully examine curricular> practices> >> but> >>>> it does
not follow that there is necessarily a prescribed or> correct> >>>> single
means of doing this. Like Kelly, our district feels that> >> balanced> >>>>
literacy and a general pacing guide for unit study will support> >> teachers>
>> in> >>>> seeing this approach damned and dumped because we are not seeing>
the> >> kinds> >>>> of results one would hope to see. As much as I am nervous
about> the> >>>> bantying of the term fidelity, I think Kelly has hit the nail
on> the> >> head.> >>>> We have ample evidence to show that children in
classrooms where> >> balanced> >>>> literacy practices are honored under the
orchestration of> effective> >>>> teachers, children are making excellent
progress. The issue we> have to> >>>> grapple with is this. How do we begin to
address the issue of> teachers> >> who> >>>> aren't, for lack of a better term,
on board? I can say that the> >> majority> >>>> of these teachers are
implementing their own brand of instruction> that> >>>> looks much more like
traditional basal instruction than any> direct> >>>> instruction program I have
reviewed.> >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> Lori Jackson> >>>> District Literacy Coach
and Mentor> >>>> Todd County School District> >>>> Box 87> >>>> Mission SD
5755> >>>> > >>>> ----- Original message -----> >>>> From: Kelly
Andrews-Babcock> <kandrews-babc...@killinglyschools.org>> >>>> To: Mosaic: A
Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group> >>>>
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>> >>>> Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:56 AM>
what you mean by 80% requirement> for> >> RtI,> >>>>> are you talking about
implementing RtI up to 80%? Anyway, we were> told> >>>>> that if you do not
have a "program" that whatever your core> curriculum> >> is> >>>>> will be fine
as long as it's being implemented with integrity> and> >>>>> fidelity. Our core
curriculum consists of guided reading, shared> >> reading> >>>>> and
independent reading. However it does not look the same in> every> >>>>>
classroom nor the same at each grade level.> >>>>> As a coach my job has become
interesting in assisting grade> levels to> >>>>> meet expectations. We also
formulated some pacing guides for> reading> >> last> >>>>> year which has
helped us stay on track. I'm not sure I'm> answering> >> your> >>>>> question
here...> >>>>> Kelly AB> >>>>> > >>>>> On 12/16/08 5:05 PM, "Beverlee Paul"
<beverleep...@gmail.com>> wrote:> >>>>> > >>>>> Help!! I've been told that the
only way a district can meet the> 80%> >>>>> requirement for RTI is to adopt a
direct instruction program as> its> >> core> >>>>> curriculum. Please--those of
you out there that still use> balanced> >>>>> literacy, how do you fulfill the
RTI requirement? Thanks. BP> >>>>>