I am just finishing up the second of two courses in my doctorate on
"disciplined inquiry". One of the things I have learned is how to evaluate
research
articles. I thank you, Amy, for posting the research links...and I  look
forward to reading through your links when I get a few minutes. It will be
good
practice for me as I work on my literature review for my  dissertation.

There are many kinds of research in education...and yes...some research is
done to create programs. Marie Clay, Fountas and Pinnell and many others  have
done research and then created programs or theories from their  research.
Marie Clay was my hero but even her work needed to be  validated by many others
over time. The fact that someone makes a  profit on their research makes this
validation process essential.
I am particularly interested in looking at the studies you mention to see  if
there is an improvement in comprehension scores...AND if improvement in
reading skills holds over time. If there is no independent validation studies,
then I am afraid the jury is still out for me.

Now...Let's talk comprehension...the purpose of our listserv. I have a
question for all the wonderful minds on this list.

I just picked up a new little girl on my caseload today. When reading with
her a couple of things became obvious to me. One: She isn't thinking about
reading. (We all know what to do about that---time to pull out Strategies That
Work...Reading With Meaning etc etc.) BUT another problem I detected is that
she  doesn't seem to understand the questions posed to her by me or the other
children...particularly questions that start with why and how. It really
affects  how she interacts with other children when they are discussing text.

I want to teach her how to comprehend questions and was thinking about
applying comprehension strategies to the genre of questions.

Can you all help me think this through?
Jennifer

In a message dated 2/19/2009 7:49:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,