Jennifer, I have a couple of quick questions...
Is the student ELL?  If so, what level?  Maybe the questions are out of her
English Language Development "zone".  If worded differently, she may be able
to answer them?
Also, what reading level is she?

Maybe she doesn't know how to put her thoughts into words?  Response
starters could be used,  or scaffold the questions until she can respond to
the one you want her to.  This does take time.
Jan
Unless we reach into our students¹ hearts, we have no entry into their
minds.
-Regie Routman