Amy,
Thanks for the research link suggestions.  I will look them up.

I think the big difference is whether the developers of Direct Instruction
programs, who also produced their own research saying their programs work, made
profits from their programs based on their research results and marketing
ploys.  Someone else who has a better handle of the research out there might
want to address this question:  what does the independent research say about
Direct Instruction programs and, since you brought it up, Reading Recovery?
Also, I don't know that Stephanie Goudvis, et al are making any claims as far
as test gains, etc because people are applying their ideas in their classroom.
BTW, Strategies that Work is not a program.  Unfortunately, my experience with
proponents of DI is that they see everything as a program.  Life is broader
than that.  Teachers are smarter than that.  A program, especially one that
needs to be followed with "fidelity" (what the heck does that mean???), is an
insult to teachers' intelligence and professionalism.  While you claim that
teachers may deviate from the script, children are different and throw us curve
balls every once in a while, you imply that this is the exception rather than
the norm.  To me, I want it to be the norm.  Each child is different and
deserves different approaches to learning based on a solid philosophy backed up
by pedagogical principles and research (expert and teacher).
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Second, (and this is a bit more harsh, but true  non-the-less)  that someone
profits financially from selling their well  researched books and workshops.

Food for thought.

I hope  this information helps.

Amy