It isn't that the feds NEED programs and other methods of teaching reading to be testing quantitatively. It is that they WANT them to be. When the National Reading Panel met, they started out by systematically throwing out all research that didn't meet their overall, already-established phonics-first philosophy, then went on to use terms like "scientifically proven" to drive home their goal of turning classrooms back into what they remembered from the 1950's, with the teacher in charge of "delivering instruction" and turning Whole Language into a divisive, politicized term based on lies, myths, and, at best, misunderstanding of the process. NCLB functions under the philosophy of a "daddy knows best" kind of paradigm, where everything is "either/or" and "good/bad" and children are reduced to numbers, rankings, and ratings while teachers are demeaned, deprofessionalized, and defeated, perhaps in the hope that public school as we know it will bite the dust and privatization can rise up in the education field. All this from an administration which consistently altered scientific research in other areas, such as global warming and environmental standards, in order to reward big business with more money and more power. In the education field, big business has been rewarded mightily by NCLB. Follow the money.

As for "scripted instruction".... well, frankly, I think the phrase is an oxymoron.

Renee