I just read Learning Denied (1991) by Denny Taylor. Taylor, an
educator/researcher, documents a family's struggles with a school district.
While this is not a recent publication, I think in some ways, things have
gotten worse.  I am a second grade teacher and I see the weight put on
standardized test scores, focusing on what a child/teacher/school cannot do
instead of what he/they can do. With the new emphasis on systematic phonics
and the reduction of learning to a list of subskills, everyone--teachers,
students, schools, districts--get measured and compared by arbitrary
markers.  Real estate values are based on school test scores and
student/teacher/school success is seen through a narrow lens.  I couldn't
help but rant a bit after reading this book tonight.  Educators are caught
in the legalistic web right along with families. Anyone else read this?