From: beverleep...@gmail.com
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thu, Jul 2, 2009 12:54 am
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Learning Denied

It is a powerful book! I think Denny Taylor is one of the brightest literacy=0
professional minds in America today.  Perhaps the brightest!

From: "Carol Lau" <c...@ca.rr.com>

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:59:31
To: 'Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group'<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>

I just read Learning Denied (1991) by Denny Taylor. Taylor, an
educator/researcher, documents a family's struggles with a school district. While this is not a recent publication, I think in some ways, things have
gotten worse.  I am a second grade teacher and I see the weight put on
standardized test scores, focusing on what a child/teacher/school cannot do instead of what he/they can do. With the new emphasis on systematic phonics and the reduction of learning to a list of subskills, everyone--teachers,
students, schools, districts--get measured and compared by arbitrary
markers.  Real estate values are based on school test scores and
student/teacher/school success is seen through a narrow lens. I couldn't help but rant a bit after reading this book tonight. Educators are caught
in the legalistic web right along with families. Anyone else read this?

Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/Mo
saicArchive.