I know many people are against direct phonics instruction in
the classroom, however, being that I taught 3rd grade for
six years, it drove me crazy that many children come into
class and have no phonics knowledge or phonemic awareness
at all.? We have to teach them comprehension when they can not read
to begin with.? I will be teaching second grade this year and want to be
sure that their 3rd grade teachers do not have to worry about emphasizing
phonics.? Are there any suggestions on how to teach phonics
without "teaching phinics?"