Hi Rachel,
I am moving into a 1/2 classroom for the first time next year and love the idea of individual spelling lists. Would you be able to send me anything you have that you think might help me get started? I would really appreciate it!
Janet

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2010, at 9:34 PM, rworthing...@ms.k12.il.us wrote:

Amy.
As you know, I to am a writers workshop advocate! I have jumped back into individualized spelling lists and activities. The students create their list of words from either their writing or reading, once in awhile, if I see the majority of the students need support in a certain area, I will generate words. The students have a reading and writing binder in which they use a "word collector" work sheet within the binder to compile a list of words. I use the binder during my reading and writing conference and check in on how they are using the "collector". Then I have a two column list that they use to create their weekly list one half they keep and the other half is turned into me. I keep my half on a ring placed in the front of my room. After they choose their words they choose the activities they will complete (I.e. Word sort is worth 20 points, ABC order is worth 10) they must complete a total of 50 points a week. Some of my students this is too much so they have a sp! elling book they work from. At the end of the week the kids buddy up and give each other the test. What they get wrong goes in the list for the next week. I feel this places them in charge of their learning. And after all, are we not trying to create life long learners? I know you are.

I will send you everything.  I miss the daily PDs.

Hope that helps...  Email me when you get a chance.

Rachel.

From: Amy Tisinger <amylyn...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:21:33
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org >
Subject: [MOSAIC] Spelling

I am in my 7th year of teaching, and am trying to start up an individualized spelling program for my 2nd graders, starting with the 2nd semester next week. I've done some research, but am interested in some practical thought and advice based on experience! Also, I would be interested in any theories
or ideas behind giving spelling tests. I ditched them a few years ago
because I found my 1st graders were either struggling through the entire thing (becoming frustrated, and not learning anything in the process), or were acing every test because they already knew the words or were memorizing them and not transferring to writing. I've also recognized this could have been due to my poor implementation; I am a writer's workshop teacher through
and through, and wasn't devoting a lot of time to it.

So, please offer up your thoughts and advice!

Thank you,
Amy Tisinger
2nd Grade Teacher
Rainbow Bridge International School