Hi,
This my third year teaching first grade. My first grade team has a spreadsheet
of all 500 high frequency words. We start with the first hundred (first grade
curriculum) in the beginning of the year (reading AND spelling). That is our
starting point. Each week the students get six new words. They write them on
3X5 index cards. The cards go back and forth every day and it is their job to
practice reading and spelling them every night. They also use them during the
day to do word work. For example, on Thursdays, they need to pick 10 words and
write them in Alphabetical order. Wednesdays is write six words, then pick two
to write in a sentence - illustrate the sentences with quick sketches. (I also
teach Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop in my class). Our school has no writing
curriculum so that is what I do.

On Friday they get with a partner and trade cards. Partner A writes 6 of
partner B's words down and vice versa. They then take turns giving each other a
"spell check" They say their partners word and their partner writes it down...
etc. Like a mini spelling test, but you never know what words your partner will
pick for you, so you have to know your words. It holds them accountable.

There is more to the way it works, so if you think you have more questions
email me and I would be happy to clarify anything for you.

:) It's taco night and the kids are calling!!
Camille