I use a spelling list that has 15 words in order from easy to
difficult. Students take a pretest on Friday of the first 10 words. If they
pass a word, they don't have it. This sound difficult but I use a sheet with
all the words listed in the left column. The center column has 10 blank
lines and the right column has all 15 lines.  This sheet is placed in a file
folder with the top lid cut into 3 leaves.  For the pretest, they have the
center flap up with the other two papercliped down.  I give the first 10
words only. The last 5 are called enrichment words.  When I correct it, I
use a highlighter to highlight the words in the first column I want them to
learn and the numbers of the same words in the third column.  I cut off the
first column and give it to them to learn.  This way I can give different
students different words and number of words.  I have many ELL students plus
high students. This seems to do the best job of meeting their needs.  On
Friday, I give the entire list but students know that they are only
responsible for the ones that are highlighted.  I teach third grade and they
seem to be able to understand this method.

Terry Tabat
Lexington, NC