This is a good case to think of Sharon Taberski when she says that she
provides 2 independent reading times a day--one where the children must
choose something that is a good fit, and another which is free choice.  It's
easier "guiding" them away from too-hard stuff if you know there'll be a
time they can read Twilight with a buddy.  BTW, huge difference in
readability between Twilight and HP!

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM, <suzteac...@aol.com> wrote:

> I have trouble allowing total free choice because it is so important that
> students are reading books at the appropriate level. We were highly
> encouraged  to tell students that they could not read "Harry Potter" or
> "Twilight"
> if we  know that the book level is too difficult. We were coached at how we
> could help  the kids come up with these conclusions on their own. I still
> felt that I was  the one saying no. This makes me uncomfortable.
>

> "even the kids who struggle to read these can pair up with a higher reading
>
> partner for interesting reading and discussions!"
>
> This sounds like a good plan, except that at books as long as the ones i
> mentioned, it would take forever to get through them.
>
> Suzanne/4th/NY

"There is nothing so unequal as equal treatment of unequals."    Chief
Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes