I have trouble allowing total free choice because it is so important that
students are reading books at the appropriate level. We were highly
encouraged  to tell students that they could not read "Harry Potter" or
"Twilight"
if we  know that the book level is too difficult. We were coached at how we
could help  the kids come up with these conclusions on their own. I still
felt that I was  the one saying no. This makes me uncomfortable.

"even the kids who struggle to read these can pair up with a higher reading

partner for interesting reading and discussions!"

This sounds like a good plan, except that at books as long as the ones i
mentioned, it would take forever to get through them.

Suzanne/4th/NY