I love this explanation and addition to the 5 Finger Rule! I plan to add this in my toolkit for teaching students how to choose books.

I had a large group of high level readers this past year in 4th grade. Many devoured Harry Potter and were capable of the reading (both readability and emotionally) but then there were several very low readers (reading about second grade level) who also wanted to be as their peers during reading workshop so would sit and stare or simply flip the pages and were just pleased to have a thick popular book on their desk OR who actually could discuss the books because they had seen the movies.

I usually suggested they take them home to read with someone there. I like this new idea of having them create their own plan...
thanks
Linda