First, I love how Donnalyn writes. I can just picture her with her students.
I'm impressed with how she begins the school year. What a wonderful message she
sends to the children! Not only are they expected to read, but she takes the
time to choose what she feels are books the students will enjoy. I talked
books, but if I was in a classroom now, I'd try to emulate that--if I had the
time with 90 students to work with, it would sure take a lot of time! But I'm
betting it's worth it!

Re: leveling. I've struggled with this issue for most of the past 15 years,
first as a classroom teacher, then as a literacy coach. What students choose is
also a result of what else goes on in the literacy block. If there is no time
for guided reading, adjustments need to be made. Here is what I've come to
believe.

1. There is no right way to meet the needs of individual students. Each
community is different. In one school I worked, we had students in 7th grade
who had never completely read a novel or who read at a 1st or 2nd grade level.
Finding books for seventh graders who read at a 2nd grade level is a real
challenge!
In another school district, the students scored high in the state tests. I
wanted them to read challenging books.

2. For the developing readers, I'd let them read anything if they were reading.
If they choose texts that were too difficult, I'd conference with them when
they have gotten several chapters into the book. If they couldn't re tell what
was happening, I'd explain that I not only want them to read the words, but
understand the text. I'd try to help them understand that the book wasn't quite
right for them now, but they could put it away for later. I like asking the
students to make a plan--that's a great idea!

3. For the dormant readers, I'd also let them read anything. If they continued
to choose too easy text, I'd recommend a slightly more difficult author on the
same theme or genre. I remember my colleague turning on students to Lois
Duncan. Our library had a hard time keeping those on the shelf!

4. For the underground readers, this depended on the community. In the affluent
district where I worked, parents were rightfully concerned that their students
were not reading challenging text. We changed our independent reading to help
students choose text where they could actually practice those strategies. After
hearing Ellin Keene, I realized that by reading too easy text, students were
not allowed the opportunity to practice the strategies. So, we pushed students
to read slightly challenging text.

I'm loving the discussion and very happy that I was able to get the book from
our public library! However, if I were still teaching, I'd definitely get my
own copy.
Carol