Absolutely -- the 'challenge' book is only part of what they should be reading.
The other book(s) would depend on their personal goals for reading. Those goals
are co-created with the student and me and redefined as he/she meets their
goal. If the student has issues with word recognition which may be preventing
the student from reading more fluently, then a book or two (that they choose)
at their high independent level will need to be read daily as well. I don't
want to overwhelm the student with too many books. As mentioned by Miller, you
need to know the reading needs of each of your students. Once the student
completes the challenge book -- together, during our reading conference, we
discuss 'just right' books that the student might be interested in reading.
Again, knowing the interests and the ability of the student is what is very
important throughout the process. Hope that explains more.
Judy