Oh, Ellin, Ellin, Ellin ... and Jamika!  I think I *understand*.  I so
wanted you both with me the past few days as I've tried SO HARD to
UNDERSTAND Medicare, Parts A, B, C, D; BC/BS/ United/, formularies, original
medicare, Advantage plans, PPO, LMXYZ and whatever other letters could be
strung together to make nonsense!!!  Jamika, I'm with you, girl!  I could
barely restrain myself from saying to the 43rd (or so) chirpy Senior Health
Insurance Information Program counselor:  "But, none a y'all ever say what
make sense mean."

chirpy lady:  Well, honey, there are two parts:  do you want Original
Medicare or Medicare Advantage?
me: I don't know.  That's why I called!!  (you and the other 12 girls: an
aside)  Could you help me understand what the difference is between the two?
chirpy lady:  Well, dear, the Original Medicare is what was original.  And
Medicare Advantage is an advantage.  Now do you understand.
me:  No, I don't.  Could you please give me an understanding of what would
make one choose one or the other?
chirpy lady:  Well, it would depend on whether you wanted Original Medicare
or Medicare Advantage.  Would you like me to send a booklet to you?
me:  No, I have several books.  I've read them all three times (true!) and I
don't really understand the advantages of each.  What kind of a person would
want Original rather than Advantage?
chirpy lady:  Well, I guess that would be someone who wanted the Original.
 I have some website links I could send you after I get them from my office
assistant.  Would that help you?
me:  Well, let's see.  Could you please tell me what characteristics about a
person would make them take Medicare Advantage?  It would really help me if
you could tell me with different words, because I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!
chirpy lady:  You know, it just occurred to me that a counselor from western
Nebraska would be able to help someone like you more.
me:  Well, let me get my boots and spurs on and I'll ride on over to the
office.  Of course, it is 250 miles away.
chirpy lady:  Well, you could come to Grand Island, that part of western
Nebraska, would that be closer?
me:  Well, I think my map would indicate that GI was not even in the western
TWO-THIRDS of the state.  It would be a 320 mile trip, and that might take
me and my steed a few days.
chirpy lady:  I have an idea!!  I could send you a diagram of Original
Medicare and Medicare Advantage.  Do you think a diagram would help?
me:  I HAVE DIAGRAMS!!!  I need more words.  I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!
not-so-chirpy lady:  SWEETHEART, let's review!!  Now, what is it again that
the Original Medicare is for?  Original Medicare is for people who want
original Medicare.  Who would want original Medicare?  People who want
Original Medicare.  What People?  Yes, people who want Original Medicare.
 Did that help?
me:  NO!!!!!  I want to know what OM is!!  Then I would also be able to
figure out Medicare Advantage!
very-little-chirpiness lady:  (sigh)  All right.  I'll review that one more
time.  If you can say it with a 13 % error rate, you'll UNDERSTAND.  Okay,
get ready.  Medicare Advantage plans are wanted by people who want Medicare
Advantage Plans.  Who would want MA plans?  People who want Medicare
Advantage.  What people?  Yes, people who want Medicare Advantage.  Now you
get it.
me:  *WHICH PERSON AM I?????????????*  And why?
very-chirpy-lady:  Oh, my goodness, darling, look at the time.  We here in
eastern Nebraska go to  lunch at Central Daylight Time 12:00.  It's only
11:00 way out there.  You know, Mountain Daylight Time.  Do you understand
it's not regular Mountain Time?  Oh, look at the clock.  Let me give you
someone to help you that's in your ZONE!!  Thanks for asking; I was very
happy to help you today.  GO HUSKERS!!!

Jamika, Jamika, Jamika:  Where are you when I need you?  I tried to tell
them that "none a y'all ever say what make sense" but they just don't get
it.

Well, I'd better get back to my book.  I'm going to outline the *Medicare &
You*, and make a glossary.  And I think I'll make myself some little
flashcards, too, so I can remember the vocabulary.  If I still don't get it,
I think I'll put it on my IPod so I can listen to it more.  I guess I just
haven't read it enough.

Or, Ellin, could you please just tell me which one to take??