Rhonda,
Last year we implemented a new program at our school (K-8, but this program was for the 6-8). We knew the students had strong comprehension skills, but we noticed that this was only true orally. The kids could apply the strategies, but could not read the words! Our principal backed up and we assessed all struggling middle schoolers. What we found was that many had very weak phonics skills. The decision was made to use the reading interventionist for the middle school to teach specific phonics lessons to groups using explicit phonics instruction. We also used phonics instruction into the daily lessons (yes, middle school). The result was that our state test scores for middle school increased 15%. The program was the Ashlock Explicit strategies, Phonics for Reading, QPS to test....etc. Just my two cents.
Racine
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rhonda Brinkman" <rhonda.brink...@sendit.nodak.edu> To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:09 PM
Subject: [MOSAIC] title 1 reading - help

Hello everyone,

We JUST received our first Title 1 monies at the middle school level. It
is for targeted students only. We proposed that the Title 1 reading
teacher would use the balanced literacy approach. We are interviewing and
hiring this week. Please help with ideas on how this could work
effectively. I will take any and all suggestions. What works and doesn't
work. With school on its way we need this baby up and running brilliantly!

Thanks in advance!

Rhonda