Sally...you have described the tools we have used here to first screen students
for reading difficulties. We then determine root causes for reading
difficulties with more specific instruments such as phonemic awareness
inventories, letter/sound tests, etc. if the screenings show decoding
difficulties.  For comprehension, we sometimes need to consider whether or not
the comprehension issues are due to lack of strategy knowledge OR something
else, like poor vocabulary, poor fluency etc. Not all kids with fluency
problems have comprehension problems...but there are some kids who spend so
much mental energy decoding that the comprehension suffers as a result. Those
students have different intervention than those kids who decode beautifully but
understand nothing because they fail to understand that they should be thinking
while reading!!

Every kid is so different and learns so differently... it is just so important
for us to realize that when we work with kids.

In our district, we only use an outside 'screener' (TPRI- Texas Primary Reading
Inventory) in Kindergarten which does a great job identifying which kids could
potentially be at risk. TPRI avoids nonsense words and timed tests, but does
assess phonemic awareness and letter/sound knowledge and listening
comprehension early on and has helped us identify kids who need extra attention
at the beginning.  It is quick, down and dirty, and does not encourage
inappropriate instructional techniques such as teaching for speed...

Jennifer L. Palmer
Instructional Facilitator, National Board Certified Teacher (EC Gen)

Magnolia Elementary School (Home School)
901 Trimble Road, Joppa, MD 21085
Phone:  (410) 612-1553
Fax:  (410) 612-1576
In EVERY child...a touch of GREATNESS!!!
Proud of our Title One School!

Norrisville Elementary School
5302 Norrisville Rd
White Hall, MD 21161