From: Jennifer Palmer <jennifer.pal...@hcps.org>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:28:06 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] title 1 reading - help

I highly value teacher observation, especially, Renee, the one-on-one type that
you describe. And certainly screening assessments have been misused in too many
schools to count. In addition there are a lot of assessments that are just
terrible, especially when used to guide teaching. (Like "speeded" tests for
example.) And, finally, many schools are not assessment literate and try to use
summative assessments meant for program evaluation to guide instruction. This
misuse of assessment has made many teachers gun-shy of all assessments because
they see the damage that the misuse causes.

Assessment has been a major focus of my own professional reading for the past
few years and what I have come to understand is that if it is done well, it is
a tool that makes our work as teachers much easier. Misused, it is probably
better to not use them at all given the damage that can occur. I have seen
teachers teach nonsense words so that their kids could pass DIBELS. That is a
grave misuse which sends the wrong signal about what reading really is!! BUT, I
have also personally seen screening tools draw attention to kids that were
missed by teachers in previous years who did not use the screening tools. It
requires a thorough understanding of what the screening assessment can and
cannot do... and above all it requires assessment literacy. Professional
development is so crucial at ALL LEVELS...(especially administration!!) so that
the tools are understood and not misused.

Now about teacher observation... Speaking only for myself here, I found,
however, that even my own experienced observations were contextual and very
situational. Some decent assessments given to those kids in trouble really
helped me gain insights into why I was observing what I was  observing. The
more experience I have gained, the more I have learned to verify my
observations and not draw conclusions too hastily.  Just another point of
view...I guess I believe there is an art and a science to teaching. The art
just might be in the decisions not only about instruction, but about gathering
information to inform instruction. Teachers and schools are as individual as
students.

Jennifer L. Palmer
Instructional Facilitator, National Board Certified Teacher (EC Gen)

Magnolia Elementary School (Home School)
901 Trimble Road, Joppa, MD 21085
Phone:  (410) 612-1553
Fax:  (410) 612-1576
In EVERY child...a touch of GREATNESS!!!
Proud of our Title One School!

Norrisville Elementary School
5302 Norrisville Rd
White Hall, MD 21161