I disagree.  I am an older teacher.  I detest basals.  Several of my
colleagues feel the same way.  We favor the reader/writers workshop.  Our
district forces us to use a basal, but we have found ways to incorporate lit
circles which we believe fosters reading.  The young teachers in our
district want the laid out plan.