Thank you for 'balancing' the issue. You're reply is eloquent and worth way more than two cents.
Thank you.

On Oct 12, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Dear wrote:

Renee--Where did you get your training?  Sounds like a great program?

-----Original Message-----
From: Renee <phoenix...@sbcglobal.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org >
Sent: Wed, Oct 12, 2011 5:48 am
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] title 1 reading - help

There is no one right way to teach, and no one program that will meet
the needs of all students. To me, the term, "packaged program for
balanced literacy" is inherently an oxymoron. For those of us who
came of age in our classrooms in the early to mid 90s, who learned to
use running records as a matter of course during guided reading
groups and miscue analyses for more information, who were encouraged
by administrators to use a workshop approach with heterogeneous
classrooms, who used real literature (some leveled, some not), who
learned to document our kidwatching with action terms and not
editorial terms, who moved through our days doing individual and
small group conferencing, who developed ways to help students drive
their own learning and do ongoing self-assessments, this incessant
gathering of data and overuse of programs is rather distressing,
especially when it is being driven from way at the top by people far,
far removed from the classroom.

More two cents...
Renee