A few thoughts about spelling:

Over time, I have come to the conclusion that some people can spell and some people just can't. I used to think it had a lot to do with how much reading a person did, but I don't know anymore whether I believe that. My son (35 years old) is an avid reader and he is about the worst speller in the world, and I know people who don't read anything and can spell beautifully.

Spelling is such an interesting school "subject" because we seem to spend so much time on it, and if my hypothesis is true, then how much time is being wasted? That said, I do think that a spelling approach that looks at patterns and chunks and categories of words .... and gives kids time to play with those word parts.... is probably more effective than one which seems more random or arbitrary (igh words this week, ough words next week, etc.)

Me.... I quit giving weekly spelling lists somewhere along the line, which required a little parent education (yes, we are addressing spelling in class, but I'm not doing a weekly spelling list because they just memorize the word for Friday and on Monday they can't spell it anymore) and freed me to do something else for homework. I have also done "individualized spelling lists" with contracts and activity choices, and that was fun. The kids gave each other their spelling tests.

Spelling is one of those things that I think will never be solved. Like the pencil issues.
Renee