I echo Renee's sentiments.  Just in my own family for example - I have three
girls.  The first one I figured out early on that we only needed to quickly
review spelling words once just to ease my mind.  The other two - we studied
each week, got 100 and couldn't spell for beans.  I've always been a speller
and must admit that like Renee, I thought that it was because I read a lot.
All three of my children always read a fair amount and it never changed their
ability to spell.  I so often see the same in school, but with my own children
I know exactly how everything has carried on through I've always felt that my
time is always limited so I focus more on the ability to read.  I used to say
when in life can't you use a dictionary, now it's spellcheck.  I do think word
study is important for classrooms.  I do additional word study when  it's
warranted and I do quick little mini-phonics instruction when conferencing or
meeting in a small group if others are having the same issue when reading, but
I think spelling occupies a lot of time in school for no gain. Just my thoughts!