Interestingly, our district just went through the whole spelling
issue/what to teach/how to teach/how much time to spend on spelling,
etc.  As the literacy coach for our building, I was asked to research
and bring "best practice" instructional approaches to the decision
making table.  I would recommend the same to your district as well.
It is a limited topic area and difficult to find substantial results,
but well worth the effort.  In that research you will find all the
discussions afore mentioned and be able to come to a more solid
conclusion for your choice.  I can tell you in summary, that a certain
amount of time should be spent practicing high frequency words, word
pattern practice should be embedded in phonics instruction, and only
about ten minutes a day should be given to spelling.  The most
beneficial practice comes when self-directed or independent (i.e.
students as teachers) and in a patterned approach.  My best to your
work!

--

*Cindy Brovold*
*Literacy Coach

*“*Literacy arouses hopes, not only in society as a whole but also in the
individual who is striving for fulfilment, happiness and personal benefit
by learning how to read and write. Literacy... means far more than learning
how to read and write... The aim is to transmit... knowledge and promote
social participation.*”*

- UNESCO Institute for Education, Hamburg, Germany