From: norma baker <hutch1...@juno.com>
To: mosaic <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sun, Jun 10, 2012 9:02 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Words Their Way

 I echo Renee's sentiments.  Just in my own family for example - I have three

girls.  The first one I figured out early on that we only needed to quickly

review spelling words once just to ease my mind.  The other two - we studied

each week, got 100 and couldn't spell for beans.  I've always been a speller
and

must admit that like Renee, I thought that it was because I read a lot.  All

three of my children always read a fair amount and it never changed their

ability to spell.  I so often see the same in school, but with my own children

know exactly how everything has carried on through I've always felt that my
time

is always limited so I focus more on the ability to read.  I used to say when
in

life can't you use a dictionary, now it's spellcheck.  I do think word study is

important for classrooms.  I do additional word study when  it's warranted and

do quick little mini-phonics instruction when conferencing or meeting in a
small

group if others are having the same issue

 when reading, but I think spelling occupies a lot of time in school for no

gain. Just my thoughts!

53 Year Old Mom Looks 33

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4fd53bda54d3e21ddc6st06duc