Hieu Hoang wrote:

> The 3rd & 4th columns of the phrase table contain alignment
> information
> about the words in the phrase. How it is created changed recently.
>
> However, this information isn't used by the decoder in the main
> trunk so
> shouldn't affect performance.

OK, so that's a red herring.

> If the performance of the decoder is lower for the same weights, I
> will be
> very concerned. Can you tell me if this is the case?

No, that's not what's happening.  MERT arrives at different weights
in the two versions - that's where they start to differ.  With the
exact same phrase table and reordering model, the two versions start
diverging with the first iteration of MERT - about a point lower,
which carries through to the last iteration, and then also a point
lower evaluating on a held-out devtest.  All of the data is exactly
the same.

Another difference I forgot about is that our new build is with IRST
LM, the old one was with SRILM.  Duh, that could very well send MERT
in a different direction.  I should have thought of that earlier.  We
may have to rebuild with SRI for me to get a better handle on the
differences.

> Which older version of Moses are you comparing it against?

It's almost exactly a year old, sadly.  What's the easiest way to
tell what version it is?

Miles asked about the size of the tuning set - it's 812 segments.
That's not that small, is it?

Thanks for your prompt replies and suggestions.

- John D. Burger
   MITRE