Miles Osborne wrote:

> i'd check to see how unknown words are handled in either the SRILM
> or in IRSTLM --that may explain the differences

Ah, good suggestion, thanks - OOV is very high in this data.

> (as for the size of a tuning set, the more the better;  right now
> i'm doing Europarl runs (Fr -- En) and our dev set has 2k sentences.)

Hmm, okay.  I thought 200 or so was common.  Sadly, we have a very
limited amount of in-domain data, and there's the usual tradeoff
between having enough in the tuning set for MERT to do a good job,
and having enough devtest to get good significance between different
experiments.  We might have to do cross-validation of some kind ...

- JB