i'd check to see how unknown words are handled in either the SRILM or in
IRSTLM --that may explain the differences

(as for the size of a tuning set, the more the better;  right now i'm doing
Europarl runs (Fr -- En) and our dev set has 2k sentences.)

Miles

2008/8/2 John D. Burger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hieu Hoang wrote:
>
> > The 3rd & 4th columns of the phrase table contain alignment
> > information
> > about the words in the phrase. How it is created changed recently.
> >
> > However, this information isn't used by the decoder in the main
> > trunk so
> > shouldn't affect performance.
>
> OK, so that's a red herring.
>
> > If the performance of the decoder is lower for the same weights, I
> > will be
> > very concerned. Can you tell me if this is the case?
>
> No, that's not what's happening.  MERT arrives at different weights
> in the two versions - that's where they start to differ.  With the
> exact same phrase table and reordering model, the two versions start
> diverging with the first iteration of MERT - about a point lower,
> which carries through to the last iteration, and then also a point
> lower evaluating on a held-out devtest.  All of the data is exactly
> the same.
>
> Another difference I forgot about is that our new build is with IRST
> LM, the old one was with SRILM.  Duh, that could very well send MERT
> in a different direction.  I should have thought of that earlier.  We
> may have to rebuild with SRI for me to get a better handle on the
> differences.
>
> > Which older version of Moses are you comparing it against?
>
> It's almost exactly a year old, sadly.  What's the easiest way to
> tell what version it is?
>
> Miles asked about the size of the tuning set - it's 812 segments.
> That's not that small, is it?
>
> Thanks for your prompt replies and suggestions.
>
> - John D. Burger
>   MITRE

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.