Miles Osborne pisze:
> filtering etc might give you a speed-up (eg  a constant one --less
> stuff to load) but if filtering is safe w.r.t to the source data, then
> you shouldn't see much here.
>
> (pruning the table should make it faster since there will be fewer
> options to consider, but this is not safe)

Actually, this is contrary to what Johnson et al. say in their paper,
and my subjective (not measured) experience was definitely in their
favor. As long as you have really clean data, you don't want to lose any
of it, but if alignments are lousy, translations ambiguous etc., you
want to cut it off, and Jan wants to do that (see his post).

I was even filtering more and got better results by heuristically
discarding unprobable phrases from the phrase table (based on Fran's
idea he had about discarding unprobable alignments). Again, this is
subjective, anecdotal, etc., but before that I was getting complete garbage.

Note: my pair was English-Polish and Polish English.

> i guess you might also see fewer page faults and the like with a
> smaller model and that will help matters.

btw, quantising and binarising language models helps as well

Marcin