Warblers continue with good numbers both yesterday and today.   While it always
seems early during mid-August for migrants, this year is not that much
different in regards to dates in Carver County.  Compared to 2008-2011, it is
probably slightly early for the number and variety of species that were around
during the August 10-20 period.  August 14, 2007 turned up 14 warbler species
so it is likely not that unusual to have double-digit warbler species totals
during this time period.  That date is memorable for me as it was the first
Canada Warbler "fallout" I witnessed.  What is unusual this August is the
relative lack of Tennessee Warbler.  Normally they are the dominant migrant
warbler species, but so far this August they have been outnumbered by
Chestnut-sided and nearly equaled by 4 other migrant species.  I have read some
reports of higher Tennessee Warbler numbers in Wisconsin and Illinois.
Apparently, at least so far, they are staying east.

Yesterday at Carver Park Reserve I was able to turn up 10 warbler species, but
outside of a stretch of trail in southern parts of the park accessed from the
rec area, it was a struggle to find warbler or much of any activity for that
matter.  Today at Rapids Lake MVNWR the length of the river trail I walked(to a
bit north of the 2nd outlet channel) was once again active, but it was not
constant.

August 25 Carver Park select count

Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
Veery 1
Swainson's Thrush 1
Ovenbird 1
Golden-winged Warbler 1 male
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler 4
Common Yellowthroat 3
American Redstart 9
Magnolia Warbler 4
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 6
Wilson's Warbler 1
Scarlet Tanager 1

August 26 Rapids Lake MVNWR select count

Northern Harrier 1 female
Broad-winged Hawk 1 juvenile
Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Least Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Eastern Kingbird 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 3
Warbling Vireo 5
Red-eyed Vireo 8
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Ovenbird 2
Northern Waterthrush 3
Black-and-white Warbler 5
Tennessee Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 7
American Redstart 13 (8 male and 5 female/immature)
Magnolia Warbler 2 (adult and immature)
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
Blackburnian Warbler 4 (1 adult and 3 immature)
Yellow Warbler 2 (both female)
Chestnut-sided Warbler 11
Black-throated Green Warbler 2 (male and immature female)
Canada Warbler 1 male
Wilson's Warbler 2 (both male)