Shorebirds continue and  passerines have begun to move south through
Carver County.   This morning I birded a few hours at Rapids Lake MVNWR
in interesting conditions.   A wall of ground fog was on the east side
of the Minnesota River over Louisville Swamp with one vein of dense fog
over a small part of the Rapids Lake unit but most of the unit had
little fog and what was around burned off quickly providing good viewing
 conditions.

Rapids Lake count

Canada Goose 23

Trumpeter Swan 2

Wood Duck

Mallard

Ring-necked Pheasant 1

Double-crested Cormorant 1

Great Blue Heron 3

Bald Eagle 2 (adult and flight-capable juvenile apparently begging for food)

Mourning Dove 4

Great Horned Owl 1

Belted Kingfisher 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker 1

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Eastern Wood-Pewee 4

Eastern Phoebe 1

Great Crested Flycatcher 4

Eastern Kingbird 3

Red-eyed Vireo 3

Blue Jay

American Crow

Tree Swallow ~110

Bank Swallow ~20

Cliff Swallow 7

Barn Swallow 2

Black-capped Chickadee ~15

White-breasted Nuthatch 5

House Wren 8

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Eastern Bluebird 2

American Robin 10

Gray Catbird 12

Cedar Waxwing 4

Northern Waterthrush 2 (together)

Black-and-white Warbler 1

Tennessee Warbler 1

Common Yellowthroat 9

American Redstart 11

Yellow Warbler 4 (3 singing(like spring) male and 1 female)

Canada Warbler 1 female

Field Sparrow 3

Song Sparrow

Northern Cardinal

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 male

Indigo Bunting 4

Baltimore Oriole 4 (1 male, 1 female, and 2 immature)

American Goldfinch ~15

Shorebird habitat is rapidly drying along 158th St.(around 30 shorebirds
 present today) and in a few days the only shorebird habitat remaining
in Carver County will be the Yancy, Yale, Cty. Rd. 30 area near New
Germany

Shorebird count (not all birds counted or identified in the New Germany area)

Solitary Sandpiper 2 (New Germany)

Willet 1 (New Germany)

Lesser Yellowlegs 18 (New Germany)

Semipalmated Sandpiper 3 (158th St.)

Least Sandpiper 44 (New Germany and 158th St.)

Baird's Sandpiper 9 (New Germany and 158th St.)

Pectoral Sandpiper 18 (New Germany and 158th St.)

Short-billed Dowitcher 1 (New Germany)

On August 9 there was an American Golden-Plover along 158th St. and a
Least Flycatcher was the only obvious migrant I was able to find at
Carver Park Reserve.  On August 10 at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum I
 found a couple more Least Flycatcher along with Black-and-white,
Yellow, and Chestnut-sided Warbler.