Csaba Borbola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> now I'll just short:
>
> > I guess I don't understand the point of the hidden file. Why not store
> > all preferences in prefs.js?
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Netscape does that. I don't want to do
> that. We should store in prefs.js the LDAP related preferences too.

We will store all the LDAP preferences in prefs.js

> > >   -csid (UTF-8)
> >
> > What's a csid?
>
> Additional ldapsearch parameters:
>  -i. Character set. Specifies the character set to use for command line
> input. The default is the character set specified in the LANG
> environment variable. You might want to use this parameter to perform
> the conversion from the specified character set to UTF8, thus overriding
> the environment variable setting.
> Using this argument, you can input the bind DN, base DN, and the search
> filter pattern in the specified character set. ldapsearch converts the
> input from these arguments before it processes the search request. For
> example, -i no indicates that the bind DN, base DN, and search filter
> are provided in Norwegian.
>
> > >   -filename of the adressbook file
> >
> > For storing a local copy of the LDAP data?
>
> Netscape stores the last query in a local file, what you have even after
> restarting Netscape. It can have advantages and disadvantages too.
>
> > Is this necessary?  I would assume that when an admin has multiple LDAP
> > servers, they'd just have multiple DNS A records pointing the single
> > server name to multiple IP addresses, which would be returned in a
> > single array by gethostbyname().
>
> No. It isn't necessary. It can be a future preference. It is just a
> feature of the LDAP protocol, what we can use and we don't have to
> depend on admins.
>
> Some of my questions corresponding your document on the mozilla site:
>
> Where do you want to have a UI to add the Directories to the system? Do
> you wanr to have it in the Addressbook File menu point?

Right now we are thinking of putting it in the Edit->preferences either under
Advanced or Mailnews.

> If I understand well, we would add some Directory entry to the Mozilla,
> and after we would be able to select from them, which one do we want to
> use for autocompletion. You would have separate tick box per directroy
> entry. Is it right?

No, this will be done in the typedown pane where you can select a directory
from the ones that you added.

> In my opinion the "Don't return more than X results" should not be a
> hidden preference. We should have a default value with it, which can be
> overwritten by the "advanced" users.

Yes, we can have a default value for it. If this preference is only for
advanced users then we dont have to put it in the UI.

> What do you mean about per account typedown pane?

A Typedown pane for each mail/news account.

> What do you mean about this:
> "Move rest of Address Books pane to Mail/News global pane (a la the SMTP
> server), with an eye towards  moving it to a per-account pane in the
> future "

Moving the Address Book pane in the Preferenes window (without the
autocomplete setting) to the Mail/News Account settings Window. So that in
the future we can have one address books pane for each Mail/News account.

> Where do we have any per account preferences at the moment?

In the mail/News Account Settings.

Srilatha