[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Csaba Borbola) writes:

> > >   -csid (UTF-8)
> >
> > What's a csid?
>
> Additional ldapsearch parameters:
>  -i. Character set. Specifies the character set to use for command line
> input. The default is the character set specified in the LANG
> environment variable. You might want to use this parameter to perform
> the conversion from the specified character set to UTF8, thus overriding
> the environment variable setting.
> Using this argument, you can input the bind DN, base DN, and the search
> filter pattern in the specified character set. ldapsearch converts the
> input from these arguments before it processes the search request. For
> example, -i no indicates that the bind DN, base DN, and search filter
> are provided in Norwegian.

Ah, OK.  Yeah, this probably belongs as well, as well as some of the
other stuff in that iPlanet doc.  Unfortunately, we don't yet have a
good handle on all the i18n features we'll need to support.

> > >   -filename of the adressbook file
> >
> > For storing a local copy of the LDAP data?
>
> Netscape stores the last query in a local file, what you have even after
> restarting Netscape. It can have advantages and disadvantages too.

This seems like a reasonable thing to do.  I suspect this won't get
into our first cut, though, as we're trying to do the minimal set of
features necessary soas to get done in time.

> > Is this necessary?  I would assume that when an admin has multiple LDAP
> > servers, they'd just have multiple DNS A records pointing the single
> > server name to multiple IP addresses, which would be returned in a
> > single array by gethostbyname().
>
> No. It isn't necessary. It can be a future preference. It is just a
> feature of the LDAP protocol, what we can use and we don't have to
> depend on admins.

Ah, good point.

Dan