On or about Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:51:41 +0000, Gervase Markham
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> allegedly wrote:

>> >Please _don't_ do this until we've finished it! :-) It will only create a
>> >"negative user experience".
>>
>> Mozilla will never be finished. Says so on Mozilla.org. And, frankly,
>> I'd bet money that the 1.0 release will still be intended to be used
>> by developers.
>
>Possibly. After all, what we are making here is code for OEMs to make
>stuff out of. Netscape 6 is a first effort; but Nokia, Intel, Eazel and
>others are all working with it. If you want a good distro of Mozilla, try
>http://www.beonex.com.

Hmmm. I suppose. But what's the point of having all the add-ons, when
all I want is a good browser?

>> >This is a security feature, and very important. It should be a single
>> >level of randomly-named subdirectory; if it's not, that's a bug.
>>
>> Sure wish I could turn it off, though.
>
>If it was turn-offable, this would defeat the object.
>
>> As I said, I would like to be
>> able to synch my office and home computers daily, which means if I
>> make any changes to my bookmarks file I'd like them to be uniform. Not
>
>There's no problem here. Just copy the bookmarks file across.

I know, but that doesn't copy the history or the password files or
like stuff. What I'm talking about is *automatic* synching of data
directories (I use Backer 5.0); the problem is when two data
directories have different, random names. Sure, I can do it manually,
but it's a royal pain in the cojones to do every single day,
especially when I have everything else automated.

>> >Do you for one minute think that this needs repeating? Shouting "but you
>> >_must_ finish it quicker! It's vital!" isn't going to get it finished
>> >quicker.
>>
>> I didn't say that. What I said was that the support of end users will
>> be required. With only the small minority of active developers
>> involved, it's going to fall off the radar screen entirely, and
>> nothing will work right in Mozilla when it finally emerges. Heck, much
>> of the Web already doesn't. Yes, I know it's because of lack of
>> standards compliance. But you need people out there *using* Mozilla,
>> even at the 0.8 stage, to care.
>
>Mozilla does not have the clout to get enough people using it. We need
>people out there using releases of Netscape 6 to care.

Maybe so, but Netscape 6 kinda blows. I'd rather not be using
something three releases behind the curve.
---
Mike Koenecke
to reply, change "nowhere" to "home"