DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED], on 03 Dec 2001:
>
> > I retired the summer after the first version of W-95 came out. We
> > mostly used Windows 3.1.1. at the four high schools were the only
> > ones allowed to try W-95. Am I remembering wrong but didn't the
> > very first version of W-95 actually come out in 93 or 94? I am
> > asking not stating as fact. so don't get wound up if I am wrong.
> > Anyway it gives you an idea of how long since I have looked at DOS.
>
> The first version of Windows 95 came out in 95

Okay. If it was 95 then it was 95, I was thinking the had prerealese version.

> > I used On-Track software to setup and initialize new Hard drives
> > when I had to replace Hard drives.
> >
> Why not use FDISK?

Because it was recommended and packaged with the Hard drive
Manufacturers at the time. Mostly Segate.

> > Everyone was using a utility called something like Drive Space or
> > Double Space that would let you hold 40megs of info on a 20 meg
> > hard drive. Using this utility though at the time, the hard drives
> > tended to fail in a short period of time and need replacing.
>
> Completely unrelated.  First, Doublespace was a compression program.
> Saying a 20 meg drive could hold 40 megs was like saying a 40 meg file
> will zip to 20 megs.  If you stored nothing but .exe files which don't
> tend to compress well on it, you would see a loss of space on the drive.
>
> Doublespace could not cause a drive to mechanically fail, any more than
> any other program that reads and writes to the disk can cause it to
> fail.

Unless it was another utility, I read and was told that what it did was
rewrite the directory in such a way that it caused to drive write to
more of the sectors on the drive. Making the drive work harder to try to
write in-between sectors. If that's wrong. then the information givenat
the time was wrong at the time.

A similar technology was tried on Mac for a while but was discovered it
caused major file corruption.

Anyway when we quit using the utility the drives lasted longer

> > I was replacing Floppy or Hard drives in DOS/Windows machines about
> > every two to three weeks.
>
> Then there was something wrong with the working environment.  I have a
> floppy drive from '92 that is working perfectly fine still.  I have two
> old Seagate hard drives of 428 and ~150 megs that both work fine.

That may be true. But your talking about a schhol system. Many of them
had no air conditioning except throw open 60 year old windows. Also,
abusive (to equipment children) inept (at least on computers) teachers
and supervision (In some schools the 3rd and 4th graders knew more about
the computers than the teachers did.

As for drives this was between 83 - 95 up until early 90's drives larger
than 50meg were rare and 10,20meg drives were the norm. the normal
Floppy was a 5.25 drive. How many still have computer with 5.25 floppy.
Can you still get 5.25 media?

> --
> ICQ: N/A (temporarily)
> AIM: FlyersR1 9
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> _ = m

Phillip M. Jones, CET      |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street         |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:275-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/america/default.htm
http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/message/default.htm